Broadspectrum is a facilities management organisation that operates in a complex matrix organisation, with five service lines across three major sectors servicing across nine industries, four of which are NSW Government. Charles Kendall Australia (CKA) was engaged to provide quality procurement consultants for Project Turbo, an initiative established by the CEO and the board to improve EBITDA, provide a holistic view of procurement activities to identify and assess synergies, process re-engineering and overall improvement opportunities within a wide range of categories.
- Cleansing of data to get an accurate baseline, products, services and supplier classification.
- Stakeholder change management to manage the transition from a decentralised procurement model to a centralised model.
- Reduce the lead-time for the hardware delivery category from 21 days lead time, and reduce the bottleneck in payment process.
- Rebranding Transfield Services to Broadspectrum (raise procurement profile as a service under new name).
- Management of national tenders, including scope definition, contract documentation and so on.
- To devise accurate products and services classification, by supplier, across specific categories.
- To obtain spend records by collaborating with the finance team to establish an agreed spend baseline.
- Project management to ascertain and agree transparent process objectives, actions and timelines.
- To review and evaluate current materials resource planning process, defining true lead-times.
- Develop a strategy to market procurement as a service position across the organisation and its clients.
- Identify category synergies across clients, review & evaluate supplier response, and introduce standard commercial models.
- Accurate data analysis, reporting and assessments.
- Accurate spend data landscape between BRS, suppliers and clients.
- Established strong relationships and communication lines between key stakeholders and procurement.
- Implemented total cost of ownership solutions, reducing lead time from 21 days to 3 days.
- New logo applied in procurement tools, systems (TenderLink) notification to suppliers, and negotiation with suppliers that provided branded products.
- Commercial outcome of 25%-45% reduction across categories; predominately facilities management and information and technology.
Procurement Delivery for Various Projects
Broadspectrum is a facilities management organisation that operates in a complex matrix organisation, with five service lines across three major sectors servicing across nine industries, four of which are NSW Government. Charles Kendall Australia (CKA) was engaged for the role of a Category Specialist to service the Materials & Equipment and Supply Chain & Logistics categories whilst the organisation was undergoing significant internal restructure.
- Prior to engagement of CKA, staff changes led to delay and disruption, meaning that a significant workload needed expediting in order to reach targets and demonstrate value of the procurement function.
- Broadspectrum’s diverse range of service offerings, as well as the involvement of subsidiary companies, resulted in complicated and fragmented spend patterns. As such, organisation of a centralised function and consolidation of spend required significant effort.
A structured, realistic and sustainable approach was required to meet the stringent demands of the engagement. For this engagement, a resource was located full time on site at Broadspectrum.
CKA’s commitment included the following services:
- Significant stakeholder consultation to collect data, collaborate, facilitate approvals, and provide reporting.
- Implementation of Procurement Improvement Program, including delivery of FY16 forecast benefits.
- Development of sourcing strategies and establishment of a strategic supplier relationship management approach with a focus on innovation and outcomes.
- Business as usual tasks such as management of contract negotiations and engagement of contractors.
- Development of reliable and robust processes for rebate collection, ordering, and overdue invoices.
- Support establishment of the procurement function that operates at or better than industry best practice level based on, for example, Cost:SUM ratio, Savings:SUM ratio, Savings per FTE ratio.
- Broadspectrum’s newly formed centralised procurement team delivered the EBITDA savings target set by the board of directors.
- CKA provided Broadspectrum with flexibility to meet resourcing demands at short notice. CKA’s relevant experience and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously resulted in consistent and positive progress throughout the duration of the engagement.
- Furthermore, professional advice and procurement expertise resulted in successful completion of multiple projects and delivery of target savings within Materials & Equipment and Supply Chain & Logistics categories.