Origin Energy is one of Australia’s leading integrated energy companies; supplying electricity to 4.2 million customers and developing and producing natural gas. At a time of peak activity and when the organisation was also undergoing a significant restructure, Origin Energy engaged CKA for the role of category specialist to service the Water Solutions team and the Non-Production Facilities, People and Logistics team.
In consideration of staff movements prior to engagement of CKA, there was a steep learning curve involved with continuation of a significant workload that was already previously delayed. CKA’s scope broadly included, for example:
- develop sourcing strategies;
- develop documentation and coordinate requests for tender;
- facilitate and participate in contracts review board approvals;
- manage negotiations for contract award and contract variations etc.; and
- develop comprehensive scopes of services.
The below list includes some examples of arrangements that required CKA’s attention at Origin Energy.
- Significant contract variation for international supplier of interferometric synthetic aperture radar monitoring.
- Procurement of contractor for demolition and transport of specialist plant and equipment.
- Procurement of contractor for storage and management of core samples.
- Significant contract variation for residential accommodation and related services.
- Various service orders for bore hole monitoring, ground water modelling, hydrogeological studies, labour hire, and so on.
- Leasing arrangements for office accommodation in two separate locations.
- Hotel accommodation and related services.
- A methodical, pragmatic approach was required to meet the demands of the engagement. It was imperative that time was taken to collect and analyse data whilst nevertheless facilitating progress of ongoing activities.
- This engagement required a resource to be located full time on site at Origin Energy. Significant stakeholder consultation was required to collect data, collaborate, facilitate approvals, and provide reporting.
Engagement of CKA provided Origin Energy with flexibility to meet resourcing demands at short notice. CKA’s relevant experience and the ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously resulted in consistent and positive progress throughout the duration of the engagement. Furthermore, in many cases, professional advice and procurement expertise resulted in realisation of tangible cost benefits for multi-year contracts.